It’s that time of the year! Friends and family are about to gather around your backyard. And you’re going to throw a grand barbeque party for the new year.
You did everything properly. Right before you’re about to put the fresh pieces on the heated grill grates, you hear a slow murmur’ ewe! ‘Yes! You heard it right. What went wrong?
What did you miss? Ah! Looking at the grill grates, there’re still traces of burnt black remains from previous preparations.
These are times when you find yourself at a loss. And you may find yourself struggling with how to clean stainless steel grill grates. But fear not! You’re here for a reason.
Importance of Having A Clean Stainless Steel Grill Grate
We know how stubborn it can be to have a clean stainless steel grill grate. Nevertheless, it’s essential to have a clean steel grill grate. Here are the reasons why:
1. Efficiency Booster
Greases or remaining from earlier preparations will often halt down the overall efficiency of your grill grate. Having a clean steel grill grate can fasten the process of grilling, utilizing optimum heat without being wasted.
2. Promotes Hygiene
Black or burnt grates are often habitats for growing bacteria and fungus. These tiny orgasms can cause serious food poisoning and make people die ill.
You don’t want to turn your barbeque festival into hospital beds, right?
3. Increases Durability
Regularly cleaning your stainless steel grill grates increases its life expectancy to many years. And, we all want to make sure the money we invest by hardworking pays in the long run.
4. No-Risk of Smoke
It’s a widespread scenario to see the rise of flames before your eyes just the moment you fire it up. Unnecessary smoke and burned sensation accompany it all the way. Cleaning your grill grates regularly will make sure this doesn’t happen.
5. Fresh Food All the Way
With poorly cleaned grill grates, your food will taste bitter and damp. Who doesn’t want this kind of disaster after going through days of hard work? By cleaning your stainless steel grill grate properly, this can be avoided. And the food you serve will always feel fresh and savory.
These are some of the reasons why you need to clean the stainless steel grill grate properly. Most of them are for maintaining proper hygiene of your table and creating a fresh impression about the environment.
Things You Need to Clean Stainless Steel Grill Grate
Before you jump into the procedures, these are things you’ll need with you
- Aluminum Foil
- Baking Soda and Vinegar
- Sponge or soft towel
- A large bowl
- Grill cleaner or dishwashing liquid / bar.
- Quality and sturdy brush.
- Large spoon (chemically inactive)
How to Clean Stainless Steel Grill Grate
The incredible fact about stainless steel grill grates is that they’re less vulnerable to rust and erosion and can highly endure high heat. This makes it easier for you to clean them.
Here are some reliable methods you can apply to clean your stainless steel grill grate.
Method 1: High Heat Therapy
Heat always makes it easier to burn any dirt out. Follow these steps to carry out the entire process smoothly:
- Wrap it With Aluminum Foil
When we said heat therapy, we didn’t mean to burn it all down. It comes with a step-by-step process. First of all, wrap your grate with premium aluminum foils. Carefully, close the lid.
- Set High Heat Temp
Now it is time to work with heat. Set the temperature of your burner to 260-290°C. Place the foiled grill grates over the burner and leave it there for 15 minutes. No need to change sides or stir the grates. This will make the remaining former traces fragile and brittle. Once you’re done, clean it with a premium brush or brush that is specially made for grates.
Method 2: Baking Soda and Detergent Solution
This is one of the easiest ways to clean a burnt and greasy grill grate. It is also called ‘soaking or bathing’ of grates. To make it work, here are the steps that you must follow:
- First of all, you’ll need a large container. Make sure your grate fits inside it.
- Fill the container with enough hot water. Your grill grates need to be soaked in water completely.
- Don’t pour hot grill grates inside the tub. Always avoid cleaning your grate right after you’ve finished grilling. Let it cool down completely before cleaning.
- Drop 60ml of a powerful liquid dishwasher in the water. Also, add 15 ml baking soda to it.
- Stir the mixture with a large spoon. Keep it stirring until there’re bubbles in the water.
- Soak the grill grates inside the tub. Leave it for 6-12 hours. If you need it urgently, only 1-2 hours of soaking will do.
- Once you’re done, take out the grates and rub them with a quality sponge.
- Lastly, wash it with clean water and let it dry before finally putting it into use. You can also use a fresh dry cloth to wipe the grill grates. But do ensure that pieces of fabrics do not add to the grates and find their way into the foods.
There’re no alternatives other than keeping your stainless steel grill grates always clean and neat for a healthy serving. In our article, we’ve mentioned two of the easiest ways for you to know how to clean stainless steel grill grates. There’re plenty of other methods as well that may seem time-consuming and difficult for many.
If you find our article useful, do let us know and share it with your friends and family before the next upcoming barbeque party.