Last Updated on 21/05/2023 by Mitchel Shawn
Here are some of the best outdoor pizza ovens on the market:
- Ooni Koda 16
- Gozney Roccbox
- Breville Smart Oven Pizzaiolo
- Alfa Forno Pizzeria
- Bertello Outdoor Pizza Oven
Types of Outdoor Pizza Ovens
When it comes to outdoor pizza ovens, there are several types to choose from. Here are the three most popular ones:
- Wood-Fired Pizza Ovens: Wood-fired pizza ovens are traditional and offer the most authentic flavor and cooking experience. They use wood as fuel, which imparts a smoky, charred taste to the pizzas. These ovens typically reach high temperatures quickly, allowing you to achieve that perfect crispy crust.
- Gas-Powered Pizza Ovens: Gas-powered pizza ovens are convenient and easy to use. They run on either natural gas or propane and provide consistent heat, making them suitable for quick and efficient cooking. While they may lack the smoky flavor of wood-fired ovens, they make up for it with convenience and speed.
- Pellet Pizza Ovens: Pellet pizza ovens combine the convenience of gas ovens with the flavor of wood-fired ovens. They use wood pellets as fuel, which adds a hint of smokiness to your pizzas. These ovens offer precise temperature control and are an excellent choice for those seeking a balance between convenience and flavor.
Top Picks: Outdoor Pizza Ovens
- Ooni Pro: The Ooni Pro is a versatile outdoor pizza oven that runs on both wood and charcoal. It reaches temperatures of up to 932°F (500°C) in just 20 minutes, allowing you to bake pizzas in under 60 seconds. With its large cooking surface and durable construction, the Ooni Pro is perfect for entertaining large groups.
- Roccbox: The Roccbox is a portable and lightweight outdoor pizza oven that runs on both gas and wood. It features excellent heat retention, reaching temperatures of up to 932°F (500°C). With its compact size and quick heat-up time, the Roccbox is ideal for small gatherings and picnics.
- Ooni Koda: The Ooni Koda is a gas-powered pizza oven known for its simplicity and ease of use. It can reach temperatures of up to 932°F (500°C) in just 15 minutes, making it perfect for spontaneous pizza parties. The Ooni Koda is highly portable, making it a great choice for those who enjoy outdoor cooking on the go.
Factors to Consider Before Buying an Outdoor Pizza Oven
Before purchasing an outdoor pizza oven, there are a few essential factors to consider:
- Size and Portability: Evaluate the available space in your backyard and determine whether you need a portable or fixed outdoor pizza oven. Portable options are ideal if you plan to take your oven on camping trips or move it around frequently.
- Fuel Type: Decide whether you prefer the authenticity of wood-fired ovens, the convenience of gas-powered ovens, or a combination of both, such as pellet ovens. Consider the availability of fuel and the flavor profile you desire.
- Temperature Range and Control: Check the temperature range and control features of the pizza oven. Some models offer precise temperature control, allowing you to adjust the heat according to your cooking preferences. Look for ovens that can reach high temperatures quickly for fast and efficient cooking.
- Construction and Durability: Consider the materials used in the construction of the pizza oven. Look for durable, heat-resistant materials that can withstand the outdoor elements. Stainless steel and stone are popular choices due to their durability and ability to retain heat.
- Price and Budget: Set a budget for your outdoor pizza oven and explore options within that range. Keep in mind that higher-priced models often offer more features and durability, but it’s essential to find a balance between quality and affordability.
What is the best shape for an outdoor pizza oven?
The best shape for an outdoor pizza oven is typically a dome or barrel shape. These shapes promote even heat distribution and efficient airflow, resulting in consistent cooking temperatures and better heat retention. The curved shape allows heat to circulate inside the oven, ensuring that pizzas cook evenly and have a crispy crust while retaining moisture.
What is the best size for an outdoor pizza oven?
The ideal size for an outdoor pizza oven depends on your specific needs and the number of people you plan to serve. A 32-inch diameter cooking surface is generally considered a good size for most home users, allowing you to cook pizzas of various sizes while accommodating multiple pizzas at once. However, smaller ovens can be suitable for those with limited space or smaller gatherings.
What is the best stone for an outdoor pizza oven?
The best stone for an outdoor pizza oven is typically a refractory stone or a cordierite stone. Refractory stones are known for their ability to withstand high temperatures without cracking, providing excellent heat retention and even heat distribution. Cordierite stones are also highly durable and can withstand thermal shock, making them a popular choice for outdoor pizza ovens. Both stones help achieve a crispy, evenly cooked crust.
Does pizza cook better on stone or metal?
Pizza generally cooks better on a stone rather than on metal. Stone provides better heat retention and distribution, creating a hot and even cooking surface. The porous nature of the stone absorbs moisture from the dough, resulting in a crispier crust.
The stone also mimics the effects of a traditional brick oven, allowing the pizza to bake evenly from both the top and bottom. Metal, on the other hand, tends to conduct heat more quickly and can lead to a less crispy crust. While metal pans or screens can be used for convenience, a pizza stone is preferred by many pizza enthusiasts for achieving a superior crust texture and flavor.
Are outdoor pizza ovens difficult to operate?
While outdoor pizza ovens may require some initial learning and practice, they are generally user-friendly. Gas-powered ovens are the easiest to operate, as they involve simple temperature control. Wood-fired ovens require more attention to lighting and maintaining the fire, but they offer a rewarding cooking experience.
How long does it take to cook a pizza in an outdoor pizza oven?
Cooking times vary depending on the type of oven and temperature. Wood-fired and gas-powered ovens can cook a pizza in as little as 60 to 90 seconds at high temperatures. Pellet ovens may take slightly longer, averaging around 2 to 3 minutes. Preheating the oven can take anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes.
Can outdoor pizza ovens be used for other types of cooking?
Yes, many outdoor pizza ovens are versatile and can be used for various types of cooking. Apart from pizzas, you can also bake bread, roast meats, grill vegetables, and even cook desserts in some models. Check the oven's specifications and recommended usage to explore its full potential.
Investing in an outdoor pizza oven can enhance your snacking and gathering experiences, allowing you to create delicious, wood-fired pizzas in the comfort of your own backyard. Consider the type of oven, its features, and your specific needs before making a purchase. Whether you opt for a wood-fired oven for authentic flavors or a gas-powered oven for convenience, there are plenty of options available to suit every preference and budget. With the top picks mentioned in this article, you can embark on a culinary adventure and delight your family and friends with mouthwatering pizzas at your next outdoor gathering.
Are you really enjoying different types of dishes and love to make tours several times? Grilling something is the core of enjoyment if you make fun with friends & family.
However Hungry Grills is most trustable yet in shares knowledge about Grills and its related chop chop job & making loyal reviewed to readers.