Grilling salmon on a cedar plank is a technique that yields a mouthwatering dish with a distinctive smokey flavor that’s hard to resist. This method, which involves cooking the salmon on a slab of cedar wood over an open flame, allows the fish to infuse with the essence of the wood, resulting in a taste that is subtle yet wonderfully aromatic.
Why Grill Salmon on a Cedar Plank?
Grilling salmon on a cedar plank isn’t just about the unique flavor it imparts. There are several benefits to this technique:
- The wood plank prevents the salmon from sticking to the grill grates.
- It provides a buffer against direct flames, reducing the risk of overcooking.
- The cedar plank acts as a serving plate, making for an impressive presentation.
Ingredients and Tools You’ll Need
|1 lb (or more, as needed)
|Fresh Ground Black Pepper
|Your Favorite Herbs (dill, parsley, thyme, etc.)
|Meat Thermometer (Optional)
- Soak the cedar plank in water for at least 1 to 4 hours to ensure it doesn’t burn on the grill.
- Preheat the grill to a medium heat, around 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pat the salmon dry with paper towels. Brush the salmon with olive oil, then season it with salt, pepper, and your favorite herbs.
- Place the soaked cedar plank on the grill and allow it to heat for 3-5 minutes until it starts to crackle and smoke.
- Carefully lay the seasoned salmon fillet onto the preheated plank.
- Grill the salmon with the grill lid closed for about 12-15 minutes. Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness; it should read 135-140 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Carefully remove the plank from the grill using tongs to avoid splinters.
- Let the salmon rest for a few minutes before serving directly from the plank.
Tips for Success
- Use only untreated, food-grade cedar planks designed for grilling.
- Don’t flip the salmon; it’s unnecessary and could cause the fillet to break.
- The plank can be reused until it starts to break down or doesn’t smoke anymore.
- Experiment with different seasonings and herbs to find your favorite combination.
Grilled cedar plank salmon pairs well with a variety of sides:
- Grilled vegetables
- Fresh salads
- Steamed rice or quinoa
- Lemon wedges for a fresh citrus zing
Frequently Asked Questions Of How To Grill Salmon On Cedar Plank Recipe
What Is Cedar Plank Grilling?
Cedar plank grilling involves cooking food, particularly salmon, on a soaked wooden plank over a heat source to infuse a smoky flavor.
How Long To Soak Cedar Plank?
Soak the cedar plank for at least 1 to 2 hours in water before grilling to prevent it from burning.
Best Temperature For Grilling Salmon?
Grill salmon at a medium heat of around 350°F to 375°F to ensure it cooks evenly without drying out.
Can Any Salmon Be Cedar-planked?
Yes, all salmon varieties can be grilled on a cedar plank; adjust cooking times according to thickness and personal taste.
Are you really enjoying different types of dishes and love to make tours several times? Grilling something is the core of enjoyment if you make fun with friends & family.
However Hungry Grills is most trustable yet in shares knowledge about Grills and its related chop chop job & making loyal reviewed to readers.